Travel Tips – Driving
I have a few words of advice if you plan on renting a car. I feel it’s the best way to explore Nicaragua. That being said, it doesn’t hurt if you or a companion know Spanish, and travel with someone that knows the area.
- Recommend renting a 4WD (Four Wheel Drive), gives you more freedom to see the country (don’t be surprised if the rentals have a manual stick). Have had good luck using a company called Casa Pellas (Dollar Rent A Car).
- Most traffic signs and signals seem to be more of an recommendation instead of a law.
- Travel signage may not always be available.
- Don’t be surprised if you get stuck behind slow moving trucks and buses, especially going up hills.
- Be aware that most roads are also used as sidewalks.
- You may have to share the road with farm animals.
- Using a GPS (like on your phone) works better than using maps.